Monday, June 22, 2015

Super Soft Lamb's Ears



Lamb's Ears (stachys byzantina) was one of my favorite plants as a kid.  We had a small one that would grow in our backyard.  I used to get excited when I would see the fuzzy leaves start to pop up.  The leaves are extremly soft on this plant.  I never thought about having one in my own garden until last year when I noticed one on clearance at Lowe's for less than two dollars.  I was concerned the plant wouldn't come back the next summer, considering it was half dead when I bought it. Just look how huge the plant is this year!

Maitenance: literally, nothing so far this year! When the weather got cold, I trimmed back all the dead leaves and stems. It has flourished so far this year...I haven't even watered it yet!
The tall stem in the middle is where the plant is about to bloom. It does provide small purple flowers.  Be sure to check out my updated post to see. Cut back the stems after the plant has flowered to promote more plant growth.

Lamb's Ear is great for flower beds and can be easily divided to fill up other available spots.  My plant is in the bright sun for the majority of the day and does great. I recommend placing them in easily accessible areas for the kids, they will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment